Monday, October 5, 2009

How do we look?


From the minute I opened the text for this course, I knew it would be different. This is exactly what I need. I have been a working graphic artist for the last 10 years, having received an Associates of Applied Science in Visual Communications in 1999.

Since that time, I spent 3 years worked in entry level positions creating simple flyers and postcards and wanting more "meaty" projects to sink my teeth into. The other 7 years, however, I worked in in-house design departments and an advertising agency where I got the chance to work on the "meaty" projects I had been craving, and feeling a bit out of my depth.

While I have always been proficient with the technical aspects of design (I know my way around Creative Suite, and have experience working in prepress) I have felt at a disadvantage conceptually. All the courses in InDesign will not make you a better designer, they only make you a better technician.

When the advertising agency went out of business last December, I knew that it was time to rev up my skills and really take my career seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment